Photos by Carlos Ramirez
(via @MarcVidalChef - Cala Xarraca Beach)
Cala Xarraca is a tiny beach (about 300 feet in length) off the north coast of Ibiza mostly visited by local families and in-the-know fisherman.
(via @MarcVidalChef - Arrós a Banda, taken near Cala d’Hort)
Don’t confuse that with Paella!! Arrós a Banda is a rice dish of Alicante made with the BEST quality fish stock available. “A banda” means apart, and refers to the way the dish is usually served, with the rice as a 1st course and the fish as a 2nd course.
Need more details??
Check out this recipe from “Contigo en la Playa” by
Hidalgo Gobernador Olorosso, Cruzan Rum,
Wild Flowers Honey, Cucumber, Basil, Lime
Our DC mixologists use Oloroso, a rich, dry, and fully oxidized sherry and pair it with lime, cucumber, honey and basil for a a summer sipper that packs a punch.
• 2 parts White Rum
• 1 part Oloroso
• 1 part St. Germain
• The juice of one lime
• Dash of bitters
• Dash of honey
Shake and serve over ice.
Garnish with basil and cucumber.
Quench your thirst during the World Cup Games with our tangy, beer-based Sangría, an off-the-menu favorite at Boqueria.
Or use the recipe below to make it in pitchers (we suggest more then one) for your at-home World Cup Party!
• 2 pears, peeled and chopped
• 1 cup fresh lemon juice
• Four 12-ounce bottles lager, chilled (we suggest Estrella Damm)
• 1 cup triple sec
• 2 Bosc pears, sliced, for garnish
• In a food processor, combine the chopped pears with 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice and process to a purée.
• Slowly pour the beer into a pitcher. Stir in the remaining 1 cup of lemon juice, the triple sec and the pear purée.
• Fill glasses halfway with ice. Add the sangria and garnish with the Bosc pear slices.
Per the request of our guests at Macy’s Degustibus Cooking School these are some of my recommendations for dining in and near Barcelona. Barcelona is an ever changing city so this list will no doubt change - but these are some great places to visit right now.
¡Buen Provecho! Marc Vidal
Use this link for an interactive map or use the list below
• Fonda Gaig [view website]
• Saüc Restaurant [view webiste]
• Alkimia [view website]
• Dos Cielos [view website]
• Can Jubany [view website] (Vic, about 50 milles from Barcelona)
• Paco Meralgo [view website]
• Bar Mut [view website]
• Ohla Gastrobar [view website] (same hotel as Saüc Restaurant)
• Tickets (Ferran Adria) [view website]
• Cerveceria Moritz [view website]
• Coure [view website]
• Lolita Taperia [view website]
• Cal Pep [view website]
• Cervecería Catalana [view on Google+]
• Kiosko Universal [view on el Mercat de la Boqueria’s website]
This is a bar at El Mercat de la Boqueria Go for breakfast or lunch and ask for Benjamin and tell him we are friends!
• Cova Fumada [view on Culinary Backstreets]
• Vaso de Oro [view website]
• Panxa del Bisbe [view on Foursquare]
• Quimet & Quimet [view on Culinary Backstreets]
• Tapas 24 [view website]
• Bravo Restaurant at the W Hotel [view website]
• O’Retorno [view on Google +]
• Xampanyet [view on Google +]
• Rafas [view on Trip Advisor]
(This restaurant is in Roses, Girona - The best seafood ever!!)
• Vinya del Senor [view on Trip Advisor]
• Monvinic [view website]
An evening of cooking, tapas and laughter with Chefs Marc Vidal, Anthony Lemortellec and Catalina Vidal at the Degustibus Cooking School at Macy’s
A recipe from Chef Marc for Asparagus and Romesco, a riff on one of his favorite dishes from his native Barcelona — grilled spring onions in a Romesco sauce.
Grilled green asparagus with Romesco sauce
18 pieces green asparagus (2 oz.)
1 oz. Romesco sauce (see recipe)
• Season asparagus with salt, pepper and olive oil.
• Sear until charred and cooked through, about two minutes.
• Heat up the Romesco in a large sauté pan, transfer asparagus to sauté pan and coat evenly.
• Serve with shaved raw asparagus salad as a garnish.
Makes 1 quart
4 vine-ripened tomatoes
1 whole head of garlic
3/4 cup hazelnut
1/8 loaf stirato bread
1 2/3 cloves of garlic, peeled
1/3 cup loose parsley leaves
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup sherry vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup nyora pepper purée (see recipe)
• De-stem the tomatoes and cut an “x” on the top. Line a sheet pan with foil and place tomatoes on top with 4 garlic heads. Add olive oil and put in oven for 1 hour at 400º F. When done, peel the charred tomato skins.
• Deep-fry the hazelnuts until golden brown.
•Deep-fry the stirato bread until crispy.
•Blend all ingredients completely until smooth.
•Add salt to taste.
•Freeze extra for future use.
Nyora pepper purée recipe
Yields 1 cup
1/2 pack nyora peppers (160 grams)
• Cut peppers in half. Soak overnight in warm water, covered with plastic wrap.
•Drain peppers from water and remove the seeds and stems.
•Pass through a very fine sieve.
•Freeze extra for future use.
We are excited to feature the wines of Ana Martín, one of Spain’s pre-eminent winemakers and one of Europe’s leading female wine figures. She divides her time and energy between the Txakolina D.O.’s of Bizkaiko and Geteraiko in her native Basque region and the famed regions of Rioja and Valdeorras. Her winemaking style is informed by intensive research into the history of the land, yet the finished wines are not technical, but lyrical expressions of place and time.
We hope you come in an enjoy this unique line up of Spanish wines, perfect for spring and early summer sipping!
• Hiruzta 2012
Hondarribi Zuri, Hondarribi Beltza ~ Getariako Txakolina
Ana’s classic tapas wine jumps out of the glass with lemon zest, lime pith, and the slightly sparkling finish that is the hallmark of great Txakoli.
• Itsas Mendi 2012
Hondarribi Zuri, Hondarribi Zuri Zerratie~ Bizkaiko Txakolina
Itsas Mendi means “Sea and Mountain.” This still Txakoli is bright, stoney, and briney all at once.
• Itsas Mendi No. 7 2011
Hondarribi Zuri, Riesling~ Bizkaiko Txakolina
Named for the original 7 partners who created the wine, the No. 7 pushes the boundaries of traditional Txakoli. It retains a briny finish paired with lush stone fruits.
• La Tapada “Guitian” 2011
Godello ~ Valdeorras
Made from exclusively estate grown fruit, this Godello delivers a waxy, opulent taste paired with racy acidity.
• Señorío de Cuzcurrita 2007
Tempranillo ~ Rioja
Ana’s expression of Rioja is made from 100% Tempranillo and reflects the 15th century castle vineyard’s pedigree: rich round fruit combines with a gentle, but intense minerality.
We are excited to share Ana’s selection of wines, from crisp Txakoli’s to powerful late harvests! Stay tuned for the full line up …